Jam-It is a newly released arcade style 2-on-2 half-court basketball game for the classic Commodore 64 and C64 emulators. Like the Throwback Games website declares, “one button is enough to make extreme dunks, jumpshots, shot blocks, passes, post up plays and steals.”
- Controls are easy once you read the instructions. It is amazing what you can do with a single button.
- When you rebound or steal the ball from the other team, the backcourt highlights indicating you need to clear the ball. Great feature!
- Statistics system is great at tracking all the major stats in the game. Based on the stats, an MVP is selected at the end of each game.
- During the halftime show, you need to tap the controller to regain energy. Usually halftime shows in sports games are just eye candy (and can easily be repetitive). Another great feature!
- Love the cheesy commentary when a shot is made such as “No hocus pocus just focus”
- Unique free throw system. Hold the button and release when the backboard turns green, but you have to time it right!
- The three levels of computer AI are excellent making replayability high for even a 1 player game.
- The fact Throwback Games is actually CHARGING for the game. Quality games deserve to be purchased!
- When a player gets an accomplishment, such as a double-double, the game stops to highlight the accomplishment. This interupts the flow of the game.
- The slow motion feature is a bit drawn out.
- Graphics: 8/10
- Sounds: 6/10
- Controls: 9/10
- Game Play: 8/10
- Replayability: 9/10
- Jam-It makes good use of the Commodore 64’s capabilities. The graphics are easy on the eyes and lag-free. The sounds are what you would expect from a basketball game – dribbling ball and the “hiss” of the crowd when you make a shot. Jam-It is a great basketball game and I hope Throwback Games releases many more titles.
- Overall Score: 8 out of 10
- Buy at ThrowbackGames.net